On a Sunday afternoon, all one wants is a meal that fills your heart as much as your stomach, and what’s better than butter chicken and hot naans. @indian.vegan.recipes is giving us just that.
What you need
50g Cashew paste
1 Tbsp Vegan butter/ghee
1 Cup Peanut curd
2 Medium sized Tomatoes
2 Large sized Red Onions
1 tsp chopped Garlic
1 tsp chopped Ginger
2 Bay leaves
5-6 Cardamom pods
A pinch of Cinnamon powder
A pinch of Black pepper powder
1/2 tsp Asafoetida
2 tsp Red chilli powder
2 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
1/2 tsp powder
1/2 tsp Garam masala
Salt (as per taste)
2 Tbsp oil
What to do? (method)
- Break the Tofu into uneven lumps and marinade using 1 cup curd, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt 1 teaspoon each and rest it aside for 30 mins.
- Take 2 Tbsp oil in a Kadhai/saucepan, heat it on a medium flame for a minute and add bay leaves, chopped onions, tomatoes, ginger in the mentioned proportion and saute for 3-4 minutes. Let it turn soft and mushy. Switch off the flame and let it cool.
- In a blender, add garlic, the saucepan mixture and cardamom cloves and blend to a smooth paste.
- In a saucepan pan, take 1 Tbsp of Vegan ghee or vegan butter, start to heat on medium flame.
- Add Asafoetida, cinnamon powder and the smooth paste into the saucepan and stir well. Cook it until it turns reddish brown and starts releasing oil at the pan edges. Now add all the spices and mix well. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes with continuous stirring.
- Add the Cashew paste and mix well. Add 1 cup hot water and let it simmer.
- Once the Tofu marinade has rested for 30 mins, bake it at 250° for 5 minutes.
- Now add the Tofu to the saucepan. If the dish has started to simmer, ensure that the gravy is of running consistency. If it's thick, add some more water and let it simmer.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon Garam masala and stir. Let it simmer for 2 minutes and switch of the flame.
Pair with: The only thing that you need to be paring your butter chicken with is some steamy hot naans, fresh off the tawa.
If this butterchicken is part of your live aastey moments, be sure to tag @live aastey!